Over the past several years, we’ve assisted thousands of property owners in coping with upside down loans. Although very few have gotten actual modifications that made their homes affordable (the lenders and our government won’t go that far), most have used short sales to avoid judgments against their credit that would follow them for years.  Even most people who have gone through foreclosure have avoided the lenders’ deficiency recourse.  But now, many are shocked to discover that, although the lender has no judgment against them, the debt still appears on their credit reports as an unpaid debt. This can block future credit and could possibly used by a collection agency to force a payment that is no longer owed.

When a property is sold in a short sale, agreements are generally made with the lenders in which the unpaid balance is forgiven, ie: there is no deficiency recourse.  Similarly, in California at least, most foreclosures are done through a Trustee Sale process through which the foreclosing lender has no recourse against the debtor for any unpaid balance.  These unpaid amounts are considered “forgiven debt” and the debtor may be taxed on this amount unless they have an exemption such as the 2007 Federal Debt Forgiveness Relief Act, or their accountant determines that they are otherwise exempt: purchase money debt, insolvency, etc.  When this occurs, the debtor’s credit report should show the loan as “settled”; or “paid less than full” or some similar reference… not that anything further is due.  So what do you do if this happens.

First, get your records together to show that the loan deficiency was actually resolved.  This may be the short sale closing documents, particularly the lenders’ short sale consent letters addressing the deficiency (or removing any deficiency language). For a foreclosure, the type of foreclosure used will provide guidenance. In either case, the debtor should receive a 1099 form from each lender. A 1099C indicates that the debt is forgiven but sometimes the lenders use the wrong one.

Second, send a dispute letter to each of the credit bureaus – Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax – and challenge the debt reference. Send this my Certified Mail Return Receipt and keep all your records.  Once the credit reporting agency has received your dispute letter, they are obligated to investigate. According to the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the credit bureaus must take the following steps:

  • The credit reporting agencies must resolve consumers’ disputes within 30 days limit, unless you have used the services of annualcreditreport.com, then the bureaus can take up to 45 days.
  • In response to consumers’ complaints that documentation in support of their disputes was disregarded, the credit bureaus have to consider and transmit to the furnisher all relevant evidence submitted by the consumer the first time.
  • Consumers will receive written notice of the results of the investigation within five days of its completion, including a copy of the amended credit file if it changed based on the dispute.
  • Once information is deleted from a credit file, the credit bureaus can not reinsert it unless the entity supplying the information certifies that the item is complete and accurate and the credit bureau notifies the consumer within five days.

All of the big-three agencies are working on making sure that all disputes are handled within 30 days. See http://www.creditinfocenter.com/repair/Repair.shtml#4 for more specific details.

If a lender fails to respond to the credit bureau’s investigation, they may delete the refeence themselves. If not, or if the lender actually refuses to remove the derogatory credit reference, then you may need to initiate legal action against the lender. Reporting a false debt on the debt reporting system is slander and you could have a legal claim against the lender and the reporting credit bureau to both remove the reference and recover damages.

Are these strategies for you?  Every person’s situation is different. The information presented in this Article is not to be taken as legal advice.  If you are facing false credit reports which claim you still owe a forgiven debt, get competent legal advise in your State immediately so that you can determine your best options. 

If you have specific questions about your liability in California or about cleaning your credit report, short sales, foreclosure, or any legal issues, feel free to contact us at sjbeede@bpelaw.com.  We offer a $200 flat fee consultation to evaluate your liabilities and strategize a resolution. This can be done in person or by phone. If interested, please call us at 916-966-2260.

Be Sociable, Share!

4 Comments to “Get the Forgiven Debts off your Credit Report”

  1. on 06 Sep 2010 at 2:44 pmTony Orlando

    I just stopped by your blog and thought I would say hello. I like your site design. Looking forward to reading more down the road.

  2. on 06 Sep 2010 at 3:00 pmTony Orlando

    I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

  3. on 06 Sep 2010 at 3:01 pmTony Orlando

    Great post. I will read your posts frequently. Added you to the RSS reader.

  4. on 06 Sep 2010 at 3:45 pmTony Orlando

    I found your site on Google and read a few of your other entires. Nice Stuff. I’m looking forward to reading more from you.